Editor’s note: Chef du Jour is a profile of an area food professional which appears occasionally here in Food.
Name: Mike DiVincenzo, 26, of Home restaurant
Title: Executive chef
Location: 1114 Main St., Branford www.homerestaurantct.com
Food prepared: Modern American comfort food with a twist
Background/education: Culinary Institute of America
1. What was your favorite food as a child?
Grilled cheese and pasta.
2. What’s the most memorable meal you have ever eaten?
Seafood salad in Naples, Italy. It was supposedly the second-oldest pizzeria in the world. The dish had squid, octopus, mussels with olive oil, lemon juice and cherry tomatoes.
3. What’s the most memorable meal you have ever prepared?
Cooking for my family for the holidays is always memorable.
4. How did your interest in food and cooking begin?
When I was 4 or 5 years old, my mother would sit me in my high chair by the counter, and I watched her cook. Sweating onions was the first thing I learned how to do.
5. Do you have a favorite restaurant off the beaten path?
The Watch Factory Restaurant in Cheshire. It’s Austrian comfort food at its finest.
To see the rest of the column and recipe, please click on this link
To see my food and travel column archives, please click on this link